Our stimulus for P4C this term was Safer Internet Day. We watched a video about children making a video public and having it go viral and the mean comments that came with this.
The children then worked in groups to think of a philosophical enquiry question. We came up with 4.
1. Is it ever ok to leave horrible comments?
2. Is it ok to share a video of yourself online an make it public?
3. Which is better? Lots of views and horrible comments or less view and nice comments?
4. Can you become famous if you don’t have public videos?
We then voted for which question we would like to enquire about in more detail and the children voted for question 2: is it ok to share a video of yourself online and make it public?
We spoke about the topic and three key themes came out which were:
1. If you share public videos online you could get famous.
2. If you share videos publically people could leave nasty comments and this could really hurt and upset you.
3. I know that I should never share a video online without my adult’s permission.